Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Cirque audition scoop

Hey everybody! I just want to thank you all for your overwhelming interest, encouragement and support regarding my Cirque du Soleil audition last weekend. I’m sorry that it’s taken me a whole week to respond to your numerous comments and messages, but this past week has been completely filled with trying to catch up on sleep & rehearsing like mad for Perpetual Motion’s show this weekend (March 14 & 15 at the Plaza Theater).

So here’s the deal....I started writing this blog like 4 days ago. I keep trying to make it short and sweet and to the point. But lets be honest...this is me we’re talking about here. Nothing I say is short, and while I usually have a point (or many of them), it’s almost always a long meandering journey to get to it. In fact, have you noticed how long it seems to be taking me to explain how long it takes me to explain things? So I decided I would do this in 2 versions:

Below is the basics...no details, just the facts. The next blog (which I will post as soon as I’m done with this one), will have the play-by-play, every detail and thought and emotion from that day. I’m feeling incredibly narcisistic right now, but oh well here goes.....

So the short version is….I didn’t make it.

I made it through 3 cuts (from 60 people, down to about 12), then got let go at the very end of the first day. They had us do some improv and I basically just completely overthought it. The cool thing is that, after I got cut, as the talent scout/casting director guy went through and shook each person’s hand and said thank you for coming, when he got to me he squeezed my hand and gave me the most intense look and said, "You’re SO close." Of course that was so maddeningly frustrating that I just wanted to punch something. But I guess it’s still encouraging to know how far I came and how close I was. He also said, "I fully expect to see you again, and when I do, I want you to blow me away".

So I guess even though it’s incredibly frustrating that I got cut, overall, it was a positive experience. I think it helped to grow my confidence and also brought to light some deeper areas in my dancing that need to be further developed and explored.

I’ve emailed them to find out if I need to send in a whole new profile or if they can just notify me if they want me to come audition again. So now I’ve just got to decide what to do next. I was originally thinking that if I didn’t make it, I would move on into a new stage of my life and do more teaching and choreography and start to phase out from performing. But now I’m thinking that maybe I’m not done yet. I just don’t know.

Ok, so this wasn’t necessarily that short either, but what did you expect :) Again, thank you all for your encouragement. It really means the world to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home